Dear readers,Most of the time, your first face-to-face contact with your potential employer is made with your introduction. Therefore, it is really important to make a good first impression with your introductions. We found an interesting video where Sindy Seid, an etiquette coach, lists the important points to remember while introducing yourself. You can watch her video on the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqQYS50TyfM. However, as always, you can read the summary we've made about it:
“In this video, Sindy Seid, an etiquette coach,
presents the main rules to make a good first impression with your introductions
in a professional environment. First of all, with your first words, you should
always put the emphasis on the most important person. Obviously, during an
interview, this person is the interviewer. In addition, mentioning your
interlocutors’ title is a good way to show them respect and to demonstrate that
you made a certain research. Therefore, your interlocutors will know that you
give interest to them. Also, you should highlight this emphasis by using the
“you focus” and by repeating as much as possible their name. It is always
flattering to ear our name and your interlocutor will appreciate it. Moreover,
you have to be concise and go straight to the point. Furthermore, you should
avoid using the word “meet” while introducing two people because it puts the
emphasis on one person in spite of the other Also, you should name people in a
polite and respectful way: For example, when you are addressing yourself to you
interlocutors, you should say “Ms.” or “Mr.” followed by their family name. In
fact, calling someone by their first name may be considered disrespectful in a
professional environment, unless it is followed by their last name. Finally,
when you are introducing two people, you shouldn’t be afraid to give
information about them because this will lead them to have a discussion and you’ll
be able to leave and go meet other people. Moreover, this strategy is also good
when you meet someone, such as your future employer. In fact, asking questions
and giving information about yourself will nourish the conversation and your
interlocutor might find common points of interests with you. In conclusion,
many rules should be followed during your introductions in a professional
environment since it’s the first verbal contact you’ll have with other people.
Introductions are an important factor for the first impression you project”.
Your hosts,
Bradley, Yu Chen, Alexe and Amélie
I found the video related to that post really interesting. I love when things are concrete and Ms. Sindy Seid supported her ideas with examples and real life strategies. Now, I have a better understanding of why making good impressions is the rule of thumb. I now understand that the first impression really counts.
ReplyDeleteGreat video here! Sindy Seid is very dynamic person, people who watching her video will not feel sleepy. And in her video, what I love the most is I can learn something I don’t know before. The word ‘meet’ for example, I don’t know is not appropriate to use it when you have to introduce someone to someone else. So this video is very beneficial, I will suggest my friend to watch it !
ReplyDeleteI really appreciated this video and the summary you’ve made about it. Personally, I think the video is particularly interesting because Sindy Seid proposes unusual and useful tips. Furthermore, I think respect is the most important thing to think about when meeting someone. Also, even if it is a cultural aspect, I think everyone should use ‘’Mr.’’ and ‘’Ms.’’ when speaking to a new person.
ReplyDeleteIn general,I think that the video gives you a really clear description of how introductions and enteracting with people can affect your chances of filling the spot you want. I totally agree with the tips that Sindy Seind gives because the all relate to one big rule: RESPECT. After Watching this video, I learn that enteracting with people always has to be in an environement of mutual respect. Thanks!
ReplyDelete